Every business has a funnel. A funnel is a way that a business has created to bring in business with a couple of different goals in mind:
- Creating an opportunity to meet the person behind the business/brand/or service.
- Creating an opportunity to sample whatever products or services that person has to offer.
- Creating an opportunity for that person to actually purchase something after developing a relationship with the business or brand.
People like to purchase from people that they know, like, or trust. Where most bloggers, podcasters, digital (and bricks and mortar) businesses fail is a lack of understanding how important funnels are to their business and not spending enough time focusing on that very important business growth and monetization strategy.
What is a Funnel?
It's basically a simple way for people to connect with your business and develop a relationship with you. The problem is that there are so many ways to create funnels into a business.
- Product opt-ins: you know, all of those videos that you opt to watch and free tools that you download and love-those are funnels
- Food samples: are examples of funnels for a specific product.
- A free service at a dentist/masseuse/etc. is an example of a the beginning of a funnel
- Podcasts are a funnel (if there is a way to opt-in to something) that's why many podcasts have show notes or resources that they share with their listeners.
- Social Media posts that have a link to a tool/resource/or page to get a lead.
- Podcast interviews-You don't even need to have your own podcast, you can capitalize on interviews on other people's podcasts and direct them to a tool or resource you would like to share.
- Affiliate links-This one is great because the person who opts-in just has to take one simple action and that action will actually make you money. Nice.
- Blogs-You can create content that people love and take action on.
And, the best thing about funnels-you can create as many funnels as you would like. So, why aren't you? The cool thing is, once you've connected with a great funnel strategy for each project you're working on, momentum will build over time, and eventually make you money.